On the T.R.A.I.L. to Diabetes Prevention is comprised of a 12 chapter curriculum program that provides youth with a comprehensive understanding of healthy lifestyles in order to prevent type 2 diabetes in Native youth and promote resiliency. Woven throughout the program are self-esteem and prevention activities utilized by BGCA, including contributions from national evidence-based programs such as SMART Moves. Programs draw from tribal traditions and history to learn about nutrition, food choices, media influences and the impact of diabetes.
Below you will find the curriculum in its entirety and broken down by chapter. Files included are PDFs of individual chapters, the links referenced in each chapter, corresponding optional activities, and resources.
Chapter 1: Respecting Our Circle
Download Chapter 1
Chapter 2: What is Healthy?
Download Chapter 2
Chapter 3: Past and Present
Chapter 4: My Body
Chapter 5: Rainbow of Food Groups
Chapter 6: MyPlate
Download Chapter 6
Chapter 7: Media Messages
Download Chapter 7
Chapter 8: Learning More About the Food We Eat
Chapter 9: Healthy Chefs
Chapter 10: Where Does My Food Come From?
Download Chapter 10
- Take a field trip to a local farm, farmers’ market, or farm stand.
- Read the story of Miguel’s Tomatoes to the participants as part of a Talking Circle.
- Discuss the lessons in the story about food miles, food processing, and local foods.
- Food: A Fact of Life – Food and Farming
- Farm to Table Nutrition Learning Activities
Chapter 11: Serving and Sharing with My Community
Download Chapter 11
- Arrange a field trip to reinforce exercise and healthy behavior for participants. (Examples: wellness centers, parks, walking trails, or place that promotes physical fitness.)
Chapter 12 Reflecting On Our Journey